Here I am at our local resort and after a good work out, I’m taking 30 minutes to tan. Is it ideal? Knowing that there are clouds hovering and some of them seem a little darker than others? Absolutely!! Because that sun is still shining through those clouds and I am going to get a tan without adding extra $tress to our budget.
Relax- is that a thing?
Yeah it is! Up until 3 weeks ago, I would have argued countless times that it would be impossible to do. Laundry needs to be folded, dishes need to be washed, kids need food. You name it, the task was more important than my sanity. Until my husband and I decided to join a resort/country club that has everything you need to be yourself. How can I “adult” when there are little people that need my attention every waking moment of the day? Join the gym that has this 2 and a half hour block of Kids Academy!! Not only do they have classes to keep our kids happy and full of excitement, they have everything this mommy needs to understand just what “relaxing” means.
I’m not saying you have to go out and seek this type of place to be happy and be able to unwind. I’m not even saying that we deserve this place ourselves. I still pinch myself every time I pull into the parking lot and see the building. I thank God everyday, every meal and probably about ten times a day just for being able to breathe. What I am saying is that I have come to the realization that no matter how many kids we have, how many husbands there will be and no matter what job we take on in this world….YOU MATTER! Your body, your mind, your soul matters. Take a look at the things you can do to pamper yourself on a daily basis and some on occasion –
- Hair – Either set up an appointment at a salon and spend 2 hours with your favorite beautician. Or you can do what I do and buy the stuff from Sally’s and spend time with the radio and the mirror, dancing and praying that the color turns out!
- Nails – Even if you have a toddler, this one may be easy to do. Since nail polish seems to be sky rocketing into prices that I never want to pay to do it at home ( and screw up by touching everything) I would choose to get them done with a professional. If you prefer to do it at home, then I say…go for it! My talents are closer to baking than sitting still long enough to have my nails dry on their own.
- Exercise – I know, believe me…its not something I would have said was “relaxing” until now. But honestly, I feel so much better knowing that my blood is pumping and I can lift my youngest if she needs help. Not to mention, just being able to spring out of bed in the morning is enough to get me to the gym.
- Coffee, Tea or Milk – Just being able to spend 10 quiet minutes alone with a cup of your favorite beverage may be enough to help you relax. Whether its before the kids wake up in the morning, during a nap midday or at night when you say, ” goodnight, angel.”
- Read or write – Picking up a good book or reading a few select articles on how to be a better parent on Pinterest may be an outlet you may have thought about but have yet to pursue. Or maybe you feel better by writing your daily routine into a journal.
Regardless of where you like to hang out or whom you like to spend your time with, it all starts with YOU! Take the time to wander. One day, the kids will be grown. Your husband will be filled with nights at the office and all you will have is yourself to be with. If you find out what you enjoy now, then by the time you find time to do the things you love, you won’t feel like I did and fight the idea of being yourself. I’ve always been a mom first, wife second and just surviving the days. Now….I have a different perspective. Now is the time that I find myself and I hope someday that I help you find yourself. Maybe we can share that cup of tea or good book together. Who knows? All I know is that making time for yourself is a very important role in your life and you should start as soon as possible.